Learning English Online – Free Courses
Do you want to learn English online? Have you ever considered free Udemy courses to help you on your way?
English language learning is multifaceted, meaning not all aspects of it can be learned through video courses, but you can definitely get started with them. I taught English as a second language for five years, so let me explain how to get started, and show you how you can progress effectively and quickly.
If you’re determined, you’ll be fluent in English in a few short years. You’ll be communicating a lot sooner than that, and adding Udemy courses to your learning toolkit will help you get there faster.
The first goal when learning English should be to learn 100 verbs, nouns, and adjectives. If you learn the 100 most used ones, you’ll be surprised by how effectively you can communicate in English.
Video courses are perfect for learning your first 100 words. You can simply mimic the tutor by repeating the words as he or she says them, and pictures on the screen will show you what these words mean.
There are a few things you’ll want to be sure of before picking a course:
- Make sure the tutor is qualified to teach English.
- Ensure you can understand the teacher (E.G. they don’t have a strong accent).
- Ensure that the teacher is a native English speaker, otherwise, you might learn how to pronounce words incorrectly.
- Ensure that the course you’re taking is suitable for beginners. Nothing will thwart your learning faster than feeling out of your depth.
Once you’ve got 100 words or so perfected, it’s time to put things to the test. To be honest, video courses won’t suffice for the next part, but they’ll get you to the point where you’re ready for it.
Online English Classes – Putting It To the Test
When you feel ready, you’ll have to put your new English skills to the test in the real world. To do so, you’ll have to connect with someone you can practice with. Lots of Udemy course tutors offer private lessons via Skype and other online communication tools so you might consider connecting with the tutor if you like them.
If not, you can find a language partner to practice with. Either find friends who know English, connect with a local group to practice with, or hire a tutor who can focus on you and who can zero in on your individual learning needs. You’ll learn faster if you hire a tutor.
The point is, at some point you’re going to have to step away from the controlled practice of repeating words during an Udemy video course and see how your language skills measure up in the real world.
Don’t be nervous! I can tell you from experience that as long as you get the verbs and nouns right, you’ll get your point across. You’ll also be surprised by how helpful most people will be when they see you making an effort to speak English.
The Other Skills – Online Learning Is Perfect For These
While most learners want to speak English, don’t forget that speaking is only one of the skills. To gain true mastery of English, you’ll also need to read and write in it. Online courses are perfect for learning and practicing these skills.
There are lots of free online English courses which can correct your writing on the spot. These are computer programs which spot errors in your punctuation and grammar, and practicing with them is a great way to learn writing. As these programs correct you, they’ll keep track of your mistakes, and you’ll slowly but surely begin to self-correct.
There are also lots of interactive reading comprehension tests online. You’ll read short stories and essays, then answer multiple-choice questions and will be graded on your answers.
These courses can take you to an extremely high level of English, but ultimately, you’ll never get as far as you would with a dedicated tutor.
Study English Online – Some Great Resources
To round things up, I’ve created this list of essential resources for learning English online. These are free tools you can use to get started today.
- English learning classes on Udemy. There are lots of free courses, and there are also premium courses which you can buy if you think there’s true value in the free courses. These premium courses come with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Duolingo – This is a free website and app for learning many different languages. It teaches and assesses you through different levels, and as a teacher, I can tell you that this is one of the best language apps on the web today. Definitely check it out.
- Grammarly – This is an excellent free tool for improving your English writing skills. As you write, Grammarly will spot errors and suggest corrections. This is like having your own English writing tutor built into your computer. It also keeps track of your mistakes and shows you where you need to improve and which mistakes you make most often.
If you combine these three tools with free Udemy courses at Mumcoupon, you’ll be well on your way to learning English online. Just focus on the first step, and don’t worry about hiring a tutor until you feel ready!